08 February 2009

Amélie

So last night I picked up the Netflix packet that had been laying around my room for weeks and decided to pop in Amélie, which was utterly amazing and undeserving of the dust it gathered on my ottoman. Spoilers may abound, fyi, though the movie's predictable enough and nothing will ruin it for you.

It is the story of Amélie Poulain, a shy young woman in Montmartre (an artsy arrondissement in Paris) who takes it upon herself to improve the lives of those around her. In the process, she finds an album of discarded photobooth pictures, collected by Nino Quincampoix, an extremely cute, quirky guy (I fail at descriptions of people!). Nino undertakes a quest to get his album back, and Amélie, who falls in love with him from afar, uses a series of "strategems" to get him to fall in love with her while trying to get the album. Understand the plot at all? It makes so much more sense when you watch it.


I really adored this movie. I got a little annoyed with how shy Amélie is, but it's just her character, and I'm just used to go-get-'em women in movies who chase after the guy they want and don't run away. The cinematography is excellent, and I loved the bright colors throughout the movie. Such a feast for the eyes, if I may be so cliché. The romance between Amélie and Nino is soooo cute, especially the adorable final scene (riding through Paris on motorbike!!!!!) that makes me want to a) move to Paris, and b) fall in love with a cute French guy. *sigh*

No comments: